Finding a job/internship online

by - 09:40

image source
For the past few days I've been thinking about my future - my goals, my expectations,...
About half a year ago I decided to explore the internet and find my perfect university. I've always known that I wanted to live in the UK. Even before I visited it, I've dreamt about it. I like the culture, the history, the traditions and so on. I visited UK (London) with my dad two years ago and it was one of the best (probably the best) trips in my life. I loved the atmosphere, how people moved and talked, their subway system, the weather, their accent....and most of all, I loved their diversity.
As you can see, I really do want to live there.

 What did I do first? Well, I thought about what fields I'm interested in. I wrote down these words: beauty, fashion, media, journalism, languages. And then I found some pretty cool universities on this site. Then a problem appeared - fees. I come from a family with three children, so clearly money is something that we have to talk about often. It costs 9,000 pounds per year to study in most universities (if you're from EU).  Then you also have to take into account where you're going to live, food, night life, clothes, medicine and so much more.  Then I started googling the term 'free universities' and after hours of doing researches, I found that you don't have to pay for universities in Scotland (if you're meeting their terms - no kids, no marriage, ...).

 I read tons of articles  and watched youtube videos on studying in Scotland and I loved it. After watching TV series 'Reign' I fell even more in love with Scotland.
Since I'm currently attending 2nd year of grammar school, I took the whole university level even deeper. I realised that I didn't do anything impressing (meaning that would impress the university admissions staff). My resume/cover letter should include some previous experience on the field I'm applying for (that's my current goal).
I was familiar with internship and I was hoping to find something like that on the internet.




WHAT IS AN INTERNSHIP? 
"An internship is a job training for white-collar and professional careers. Internships for professional careers are similar in some ways to apprenticeships for trade and vocational jobs, but the lack of standardization and oversight leaves the term open to broad interpretation. Interns may be college or university students, high school students, or post-graduate adults. These positions may be paid or unpaid and are usually temporary." (Wikipedia)

Basically, this is usually an unpaid job, and your 'employers' can provide you a recommendation letter for your university/college/job.


HOW TO APPLY?
Usually the author of the post/owner of the site/blog tells you what you need to do. Sometimes they want you to send them your resume and a cover letter, sometimes a portfolio (I have my portfolio on this site), sample works, or describe your previous experience. But just to be ready, make a resume (you can make one here).
WHERE TO FIND INTERNSHIPS?
Fashion Workie | You can find tons of opportunities here (even paying jobs). I was looking for 'Virtual' or 'Online' internships, something that had to do with blogging. I found some open opportunities here.
Internships.com  | You can do a more specific 'hunt' here. It is said that it's only for American - but if you're looking for an online internship, there is obviously no problem. 
Fashion United | Finding a job isn't a problem here. If you're a university graduate, you can find a job easily. Not to mention that you have to live in the UK. So I'd recommend this site to everyone who's finished with university and lives in the UK.
I've already applied for some internships, and I got a feedback from three sites. Becoming an intern is a responsibility and you have to take it seriously. I'll make sure to update you on how my whole internship experience works out.
Do you like posts like these? Please let me know below!

You May Also Like

4 komentarji